Are you looking for a router that can work with a FiOS compatible modem? Are you currently renting one at the moment but will like to get your own? Are you tired of spending money renting a router that works with a Verizon FiOS compatible modem?
Purchasing your wireless router for a FiOS compatible modem will enable you to have better performance because of the advanced features it offers. You will also be able to save the money you spend monthly on non-optimal routers that you don’t even own. There are different router models that work with FiOS compatible modem available in the market, but the problem here is choosing the best option for your use.
Well, don’t feel bad because we’ve got you covered, and we are here with good news! This article has the best five routers that work with Verizon FiOS compatible modem.
Top 5 Routers For Verizon FiOS
Best Routers for Verizon FiOS REVIEWS
What we liked
- This Wi-Fi router features the 2.4G network with a speed of up to 600mbps for older/cheaper devices and two 5G networks that make the router balance all your devices between the two, so you can achieve the best speed.
- The router can easily be managed on the app (available to both iOS and Android users).
- With this router, you will be safe from the frustration of connection drops and slow speeds.
- The LED lights feature has an on/off switch.
- This Wi-Fi router comes with a 24/7 Netgear customer service at no additional cost.
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart Wi-Fi Router (R8000) can work with any of the best modems for Verizon FiOS. It has excellent coverage and connection with full speed by ISP’s, which cannot be taken lightly. The setup process for this router is fairly easy because you can easily do it with the mobile app.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3200 router (R8000) makes use of OpenDNS. This router works well with a typical home load in a house where most Wi-Fi access points are incapable of getting the job done. However, you can’t use an OpenDNS free account to add a bypass account.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3200 router (R8000) has an easy to follow simple interface and web GUI. It also features an LED control feature that is useful if you keep your router in your bedroom or any other place you do not like to have many flashing lights. You can access the LED control feature through the web GUI and a dedicated hard button situated at the router’s rear.
What we do not liked
- When logging in, an incorrect password message is sometimes displayed even when you input the right login credentials.
- It has a fair wired connection with slight consistency issues.
What we liked
- This dual-band Linksys router can send out AC signals and older N and G signals.
- The set up with this router is a breeze, which is not usually the case for most routers.
- Without being connected to the network directly, all administrative functions can be changed with the admin app.
- This router not only supports static routes but can also toggle between NAT routing or RIP.
- On the drives that will get configured for the purpose of network sharing, this router offers a DLNA media server.
What we do not liked
- The setup software requires you to establish a username/password and then block your internet access until an email is validated online. So, verifying the email will be difficult when the access is blocked because cell phone verification isn’t accepted.
- The guest networks aren’t customizable, and they end up cloning the parent network’s name.
Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router (EA7500)
The Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router (EA7500)’s appearance is made of black plastic with numerous vents. The enclosure of this router has keyholes for wall mounting situated at the bottom. On the front panel of this router lies a Linksys logo that glows when everything is okay and when otherwise, it flashes.
At the bottom of the Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Router (EA7500), you will also find in prints the pre-set network name and password. Despite this router having a pre-set network, you can also customize the settings by navigating your browser to 192.168.1.1 or creating your account on the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi website.
The Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Router (EA7500) can work with a Verizon FiOS compatible modem. The process of setting it up is rather breezy. All that’s required of you if you’re feeling lazy to set up this router, plug in your router and connect either your cable or DSL modem. The setup/administration interface gets the job done smoothly even when it is elementary.
What we liked
- This router can function as a bridge, router, access point, or mesh node with a backtalk channel dedicated to it.
- It has numerous features that help in the customization of networks.
- For setting up/managing this device, you don’t need a mobile app.
- This router features a game server monitoring dedicated to one purpose.
- It features AX Wireless support and great wireless coverage.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 AX11000 Wi-Fi Router
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 AX11000 Wi-Fi Router can work with any of the best modems for Verizon FiOS. Based on the AX specs’ claims, 4.8 Gbps of bandwidth is supported by the 5 GHz, while the 1.1 Gbps of bandwidth gets its support from the 2.4 GHz. Some features this router has made it capable of supporting wireless devices that are more advanced than those currently available on the market, like the 4×4 antennas and wireless techniques (OFDM and QAM).
The ASUS ROG Rapture router, unlike other routers, features all network routing controls and features commonly seen in consumer routers and some that aren’t widely seen in consumer routers. Some of the network routing controls and features featured on this router includes multiple guest wireless networks on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, DHCP server, port forwarding, Alexa/IFTTT integration, network device filtering, device operation time limits, parental controls, URL/port blocking, excellent VPN support, and many more.
Besides the ASUS ROG Rapture router being fully packed with network routing controls and features, it is also packed with numerous gaming-centric features. Some of these game-centric features available on this router include a 5 GHz band dedicated to controlling the traffic for games, QoS settings for game traffic prioritization, and many more.)
What we do not liked
- Considering this router’s size, the number of ports should be at least six to eight ports, but it has only four ports.
- Trend Micro can’t be enabled unless permitted to collect some of your networking data.
What we liked
- As expected from a Google device, the setup process is simple and straight-forward and can be done using the Google Home App.
- The routers work as advertised — good range and strong connection.
- The routers’ design is very appealing, smooth, and seamless, encouraging users to have them in the open instead of being tucked away.
- Google made the Wi-Fi on this device very easy to manage to be easier to access than other Wi-Fi systems.
- The Google Smart Display device shows your speed tests or displays password information easily.
Google Nest AC2200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi Router (2 Pack)
Google Nest AC2200 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi Router (2 Pack) are small portable devices that can easily fit your hand, and they deliver a strong and fast Wi-Fi signal with low profile devices. Unlike the older Google router models, these routers don’t create a separate network; instead, they extend your existing router.
When the Google Nest AC2200 Router (2 Pack) is connected to your existing router, they create a mesh system wherein you can transfer the Wi-Fi functions to it, thereby sending out to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies stronger signals simultaneously. As long as this router is connected to a FiOS compatible modem, Google Nest routers, Google Nest access points, or any combination can make up the rest of your mesh network.
What we do not liked
- This Google router only has two Ethernet ports — one being the input and the other, the output.
- The mesh system of these routers does not support Wi-Fi 6, and that is odd because, for most in-home consumer Wi-Fi, the greatest and latest Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi 6.
What we liked
- This device’s range is excellent, covering your entire house, back yard, garden shed, etc.
- The speed was also excellent, so there will be no buffering, and videos would stream at a higher resolution.
- The UI is fairly simple. The router will automatically change its address to 184.108.40.206 if it detects a conflict with the modem IP.
- It comes with technical support, a two-year warranty, and an extra USB port.
- The network speed and signal strength are excellent.
MOTOROLA AC2600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Smart Gigabit Router (MR2600)
MOTOROLA AC2600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Smart Gigabit Router (MR2600) is a well built, attractive router with an excellent 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi range and an above-average 5 GHz Wi-Fi range. This router features a Dual Core Processor, MU-MIMO, beamforming Wi-Fi, Smart QOS (Quality of Service), and more. Setting up this router and changing SSID, administrator login password, etc. takes just a couple of minutes.
Pairing the MOTOROLA AC2600 Router (MR2600) with any of the best modems for Verizon FiOS will provide you with a better Wi-Fi distribution throughout your home or office. So, on the network controlled by this router, you will be able to run multiple devices. Based on reports, this router can support over 253 devices at once. This router’s build quality is excellent, and it features four gigabits (1000 Mbps) Ethernet external ports to connect wired devices, four large external antennas, etc.
What we do not liked
- The router continually dropped and restarted all of the Wi-Fi connections, causing all connected devices to drop off for a couple of minutes until they came back up.
- There is no auto-firmware update, so the user has to search manually, find, download updates, and install via a wired connection and it lacks repeater functions and diagnostics.
You must be careful about the technical factors, configuration, specification of the router before buying.
The Wi-Fi standard version of the router is a crucial factor while deciding a model of the router as it determines the speed delivery of your internet.
There are several versions of the Wi-Fi standard. The old ones are not compatible with today’s networking and devices and speed. Like in 1997, 802.11 Wi-Fi standards were developed for the speediest delivery. But with time, to beat the other competing Wi-Fi standards, it came with modifications and changes for better speed delivery.
Today, some other great use versions are the b, a, g, 802.11n, a, and 802.11ac. However, 802.11ac and 802.11n are the most commonly used Wi-Fi standards. 802.11ac is the newest Wi-Fi standard available, offers more than the others, like a reliable high-speed internet of more than 1.3 Gbps.
- The 802.11n is also known as wireless N that supports 300Mbps of bandwidth while delivering about 600-900 Mbps of speed.
- The 802.11ac. Wi-Fi connection is considered the standard connection for advanced routers. It covers up to thirteen hundred Mbps of bandwidth speed.
Another factor to consider when purchasing a router is the number of Ethernet ports it features. A router featuring more than one Ethernet port (WAN or LAN ports) will offer better performance to the user than those featuring only a single port. Routers featuring many Ethernet ports will allow us to connect and share the internet connection with several devices. There are two categories or kinds of Ethernet ports — the Gigabit Ethernet and the Fast Ethernet.
- The Gigabit Ethernet port supports the delivery speed of about 1000 Mbps for huge gigabits.
- The Fast Ethernet port supports internet speeds of about 100 Mbps.
Opting for a router with a Gigabit Ethernet port will ensure that the router will meet all your future needs.
When choosing a router that can suit your needs, it is advised that you put into consideration the number of USB ports needed to make connections. You can connect different networking devices to your device with USB ports. Some devices connected or linked through USB ports are external HDs, printers, scanners, modems, and many more. Routers usually feature two USB ports — USB 2.0 port (the first USB port on the router) and USB 3.0 port (the other USB port on the router).
Features and configuration of the USB 2.0 port are backdated. To eliminate this limitation and match with the latest configuration and compatibility, Verizon Fios routers come with a USB 3.0 port.
Real-Life Wi-Fi Speed
Another factor you can consider when buying a router that can work with FiOS compatible modem is the router’s Wi-Fi speed in real life. The router you purchase will determine your devices’ speed. When buying this router, you can connect multiple devices to the router when purchasing it to be sure you’ll benefit from the upgraded speed. So, whatever router you plan on purchasing should be able to deliver at a consistent or great speed even when connecting it to many devices at once or when you make use of it for long hours.
QoS and MU-MIMO
You can select different applications and prioritize them over other applications according to your preference with QoS Technology (Quality of Service).
For instance, a router with an inbuilt QoS technology can be adjusted in the router’s setting according to their preferred uses of applications. Someone who likes to play different multiplayer games can increase the router’s bandwidth more, and at the same time, decrease the bandwidth for less used applications.
MU-MIMO or Multi-user Multiple Input, Multiple Output technology has overcome the limitations of QoS technology with enhanced and efficient features. Newly developed routers feature this technology for better user convenience. The MU-MIMO is responsible for directing to particular devices, your Wi-Fi signal’s full strength.
You can limit or alter the coverage of the router to the devices according to your preference effectively. You can also control which device receives more coverage and which one less using this technology.
Although a tri-band configuration router was mentioned in our routers list, dual-band routers are more convenient for people living in populated areas. These routers deliver uninterrupted connection and network no matter how many devices are connected with the router.
If you do not reside in a high-density region nor need to connect numerous devices to a router, a router with single-band functionality may be able to solve your purpose. Usually, the wireless frequency of the single band functionality routers are 2.4GHz band. They are perfect for surfing the internet and small tasks. But a single-band functionality is not enough for streaming shows or playing multiplayer or enhanced graphical games.
How to Set Up a New Router for Verizon FiOS?
When setting up your new Verizon FiOS router, you are sure to come across different challenges compared to when setting up other routers. It is all because of FiOS’s unique services and features that only support its own router.
Here are the steps you are to take when setting up a new router for Verizon FiOS.
Changing the Standard Actiontec Router from Verizon
- The first step to setting up a new router for Verizon FiOS is that you are connecting via an Ethernet port. You must not attach it through a coax cable. The connectivity lights at the display will show your connectivity.
- Link the Actiontec’s Ethernet port and your Ethernet connection, but the router’s power must remain off.
- Next, release the DHCP lease after you have successfully logged in.
- When you want to make changes from coax cable to Ethernet, inform Verizon’s technical team about the impending changes you wish to make. Although, be sure to follow the instructions right and tell them of the same.
- After adjusting the settings, turn on your router, which will also connect the display light of Ethernet Wan.
- The final step involves connection to the internet and renewing the router’s IP lease if needed.
Replacing the Actiontec in your router
- The first step in the second stage of setting up a new router for Verizon FiOS involves releasing the existing router’s DHCP lease before switching it off.
The WAN connects to the Mac that you will need later. That is why be careful not to switch it off for the Actiontec Ethernet.
- Turn off the connection of the router entirely, and, if needed, removing all plugs at once is the next step of the stage two setup process.
Remove the Actiontec’s Ethernet cable and get it integrated into your router’s WAN port.
- Link your computer and router and put a connection to your router. You are to get an IP ID for your router.
- You can alter the default ID for login and password after checking and confirming the router’s proper DHCP lease feature. This information is essential when ensuring that your network’s security is always maintained.
- That’s it! Your router for Verizon FiOS setup is complete. Now, all that is left is getting your router’s configuration tweaked according to your preference.
Which Modems are Compatible with Verizon FiOS?
The truth about Verizon FiOS compatible modem is that Verizon FiOS does not make use of modems. All you need to get an internet connection with Verizon FiOS is a router that supports 2.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz. You should not be bothered about what Verizon FiOS compatible modems you are to purchase for your Verizon FiOS devices. You are thinking of getting a router that can work with the best modems for Verizon FiOS instead.
Some apartment buildings in some areas (mainly in New York) or certain regions require that you use a modem and a router. MDUs (Multi-Dwelling Units) get an internet connection to their apartments using DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) and over a phone line. To put it simply, you can get the Ethernet used from the modem and then to the router’s WAN port.
Will a Cable Modem Work with FiOS?
When using FiOS in your home, do not use a modem. FiOS doesn’t use a modem. If you currently plan on using a “cable modem” on FiOS, know that it’s also totally useless.
FiOS uses only routers. The ONT box will work as a modem, so there’ll be no need to get any modem. The router uses MoCA (coax) or Ethernet to connect to the ONT’s WAN port. The MoCa is quite different from cable modem signals.
MoCA (coax) defaults for speeds slower than 150 Mbps, while Ethernet is for speeds of up to 150 Mbps or higher. That’s to say that you can configure your FiOS to provide you with an Ethernet connection from the ONT. That way, using non-Verizon routers will be easier.
However, Verizon cannot complete FiOS install from the reports made without using one of their routers irrespective of which connection you’ll use (Ethernet or MoCA).
Purchasing a new Verizon FiOS router is not a simple task because there are countless options to choose from in the market. Hopefully, with this article, you’ll be able to narrow down your search for the perfect router that can work with Verizon FiOS compatible modem that’ll meet all your requirements.
Most importantly, we hope that you’ll decide on a router that can bring connectivity to your home and give you that excellent performance rate that you so desire.
There is always something available for everyone right from the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3200 router (R8000), which short work of any problem you have with any networking connectivity, to the Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Router (EA7500), to the ASUS ROG Rapture router, to the router which brings a new approach to what you are to expect from a home router — the Google Nest AC2200 router, and finally to the MOTOROLA AC2600 router (MR2600).
Like what you've read? Share it with your friends